Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Back handed compliments still hurt!!

A 'dear' friend of mine and I were talking the other day. She commented on how many wonderful things my children had received for Christmas. I thought she was praising me for my bargain hunting abilities. Which I should mention are stellar!! And then she started talking about how her and her husband decided that there is too much materialism in the world and they were not going to be part of it. So they decided to have a Christmas centered on Christ and not go crazy like I had and buy too much. At first I was pissed off. I thought "really, didn’t you just get back from Disneyland, another trip to Utah and a $600 bike stroller?" and now you are trying to cut down on the materialism? Ironic.


I just thought for a second about how to respond... And then I thought well "too bad we can't all be as proud of being humble as you are!!" Before I ruined a friendship by saying that I thought... Saying you are having a Christ centered Christmas and then acting like a jerk means nothing. I made the decision to focus on the Savior and I ment it. I didn’t go around telling people (until now!) I wanted my actions to show it.
By no means do I think I am more righteous than her... but sometimes outwardly acting REALLY righteous does not make you so.
My new Christmas wish this year... Find friends that actually like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment